Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Inner Peace

I was driving home from running some errands today when I stopped looking at the road ahead of me (which in retrospect is probably never a brilliant idea) and suddenly was taken aback by the awesome mountains surrounding me. This happens all the time. I am constantly surprised by how small I am in this world compared to things such as mountains.



I'm lucky enough to live in a beautiful place like this, where red rock mountains tower above me in the most amazing forms. I remember feeling the same thing in Queenstown, NZ when I saw it for the first time. Standing on the edge of the lake and staring out across its surface, my gaze eventually reaching the ever tall mountains surrounding the still, clear water, only having been disturbed by rocks skipping near by from Thomas. I think that's what peace feels like. When you stop thinking and just see.


Music right now: I'm really into the song "Hiding Out" by Sucré. The ladies of Eisley have stolen my heart with their voices time and time again, and this is no exception. Quite a beautiful song. 
I'm also a fan of "Saul Bellow" by Sufjan Stevens today. I've been feeling very peaceful and relaxed today, it's been lovely.

TV right now: Even though it's been only two weeks since I finished the entirety of the Merlin series from BBC One, I'm starting it again, but this time with my brother Michael, figuring he'd enjoy it just as much as I have. And I'm enjoying it just as much as the first time 'round.
I just finished the first season of Friday Night Lights, which was great. But then I stopped watching during the first episode of the second season because I was annoyed by how stupid people can be and didn't want to bother with being annoyed. But Alas, I continued on to the Gossip Girl finale which didn't exactly help my mood where stupid people are concerned.

Books right now: I think I'm going to re-read The Divide. I need some more magic and adventures in my life. 
Also, I was in Barnes and Noble today with my youngest brother, Andrew, and he told me that 1984, Catcher In the Rye, nor The Great Gatsby were required reading at schools in this town. This took me by surprise. Especially 1984. Who doesn't have to read that? I mean, I hated the damn book as a ninth grader, but I feel like it's kind of a must-read for modern academia. Same with Brave New World. I'm glad I read 1984, because I don't think a lot of my thinking and arguments would be shaped quite the same without the knowledge of that book. 
I don't want to make assumptions, but I will: Southern Utah schools are very conservative. It may not be an absolute fact or whatever, but it's quite an obvious statement that I am willing to put out there. I feel like a lot of books I read in high school wont be read in English classes here because of controversy, and the fear of it, really. Just the other day, my brother's high school called my mom at work to ask permission for my brother to watch Tarzan. Yes, that's right. The Disney animated, G-rated version of Tarzan. If his school has an issue with that, I hate to think how confused everyone over there would get about Holden Caulfield, Dr. T.J. Eckleburg, or Mr. Winston Smith. 

Cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment