Monday, May 7, 2012

Eating Well and Loving Great Stories

Let's talk about how great The Avengers was: SO GREAT. Now that that's taken care of, let's talk about food.


Despite the fact that I am constantly surrounded by some of the most delicious looking, terrifyingly caloric, absolutely yummy burgers life has to offer, I think I've eaten food from the restaurant twice since I started there two months back, and each time I've ordered chicken. BUT IT'S OKAY, the chicken is so good there, too.
The chicken sandwiches are the bomb, but then you get a bit more than just protein: cheese, mayo, pickles (if your heart so desires, and mine definitely does), tomato, lettuce...wait. Stop. So I guess the only downside there is that darn mayo and cheese, and possibly the bun if you're into the gluten-free thing, which I'm not really, though I do probably go for a no carb bun about 40% of the time I eat something where a bun is concerned. So the other day I opted for just a chicken breast. No spices, no cheese, no pickles, just the chicken. It was fabulous. It came on a plate with a nice piece of green leaf lettuce, so half way through eating I was all "hey what the heck," and just wrapped the rest of the breast in the green leaf and ate that too.
I'm known at work for always bringing the healthy stuff to snack on during breaks, so I ate the chicken with a sliced orange and half a Clif bar (Maple Nut, which was pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself).

Other than my healthy work lunches, I've been on a smoothy kick, and rightly so, seeing as Summer is already in southern Utah. Apparently no one told the heat that it is only May, and there is really no need to be getting to the mid-eighties until at least June. Anyway, smoothies.


My house usually had a good amount of fruit in it, thank goodness, and I make sure to always have some Silk light vanilla on hand, or perhaps some Greek yogurt. 
If cheese is in fact your jam, though, I do make a mean grilled cheese sandwich with swiss and avocado. YOU'RE WELCOME.


That mayo bottle back there? Oh, don't worry, it's only the most delicious thing to ever put on a sandwich ever. It's light, whatever that entails, but even so I use barely any, and spread it as thin as possible, which is perfectly fine since it's hella flavourful and packs quite a yummy punch. It's garlic herb I think. I just call it perfection. (Not really.)
This time round I added a couple slices of mozzarella, because it's my absolute favorite (besides havarti. omg. I would sell my brothers for havarti cheese any day) and we usually don't have it, so I jump at the opportunity, as they say.
And the bread may or may not have been the best part. There is a chain bakery here in Utah, and other surrounding states I believe, called Great Harvest, and they have the best bread (and sugar cookies, for the record) I have ever eaten. Even better than some of the best New Zealand breads I've had, sorry Kiwi folk. Anyway, I used Honey Whole Wheat on this particular occasion. Never have I ever made a better decision. (Yes I have.)


And finally, a night time snack that I'll always love: Apples. Tonight, I had sliced apples with a bit of Greek yogurt and granola. So good. 

And quickly, books!

Books right now: The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall. 
I am a fan of Children's Literature and Young Adult Literature. I don't tend to like books specifically written for adults. My personally library is full of witty teenage characters and adventurous plots, because most of the time, and child or YA novel is going to be good for just those reasons. YA books are sometimes hit and miss, but a children's book is almost always guaranteed to be good, because let's be real: kids don't like boring crap. 
When I go to Barnes and Noble or the library, I automatically drift toward those specific sections, and explore. The first time I ever started doing this I was 16, and thank the Lord I did, because I discovered Looking For Alaska in early 2007, and it changed my life. This time around, it was the Penderwick girls in the wonderful story by Jeanne Birdsall that brought laughter and smiles to my reading. 

A few years back, I must've been around 13, maybe 12, I discovered Edward Eager's brilliant books. Quite old fashion, considering they were written circa 1950s, but still fairly adventurous, I quick fell in love with them, and the smart, fun children who were the main characters of his stories. A bit like Roald Dahl's books, but a little less quirky. Anyway, whilst reading the first of the three Penderwick books, I thought, "Gosh, these remind me so much of Eager's books", and low and behold, Birdsall refers to Magic By the Lake, one of Eager's "Tale's of Magic" books, in The Penderwicks. It wasn't surprising, but I was glad to have made the connection, and even more glad to know that good, old fashion adventure and fun is still being written about. I wondered if it was just my nostalgia getting the best of me, but I genuinely love these sorts of books. They leave one with a feeling of happiness that can most easily be described as innocently childlike. I was left happy when I finished the book; happy for the characters, happy and content and inspired for no reason other than having read about such feel good things. 

And that is the best of feelings.

I'm also reading a nice book about the history of world architecture, which is actually almost just as adventurous and inspiring, but definitely a much duller read. Interesting, nonetheless. 

Go read! And eat good things.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment