Sunday, April 29, 2012

Movies Movies Movies

If there is one thing I am absolutely certain I know more about than any other thing ever, it is the world of movies. I know the names of actors when you do not, who directed what, and what they have all previously worked on.
If you have ever been in a theatre seeing a film with me sitting the near vicinity, you will know how excited I get about the previews. And, believe it or not, I spend a bit of time every week checking out all the new previews for movies as they get released on IMDB, making sure I'm up to date with just about everything.

I have decided that, about once every month or so, to blog about movies that will be coming to theatres within the month. Have you ever wanted to go out to the cinema, and whilst looking over the list of movies showing in your local theatre you think, "Hmm, I wonder if that's any good." Well I'm here to tell you my opinions of all the movies I personally think are worth seeing (or not) without actually having seen them yet myself. I'm no professional reviewer, but I tend to have a fairly good sense of whether you'll like something or not. Or maybe not.

The month of May is exciting, you guys. Summer time is starting up, and so starts the of what looks like several decently awesome super hero films: The Avengers. I love Marvel comics, despite my obsession with Green Lantern. Marvel has always won over my heart rather than DC, and equally so has Joss Whedon over pretty much everyone else (the director, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, etc). I myself have bought a tshirt just for the momentous occasion.

Following the fabulous super folk, Moonrise Kingdom has been on my MUST SEE IMMEDIATELY list since the first trailer came out a few months back. One of my favorite directors is Wes Anderson, maker of greats such as The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited, and the most recent animated and brilliantly loved Fantastic Mr. Fox. He's also known for casting at least one of the Wilson brothers (Luke and Owen) in basically every single of his movies. The great thing about Moonrise Kingdom is that it seems to have a great cast, once again. Wes Anderson movies tend to be a very dry but smart humor, which I love. They all have the same sort of vague feeling to them. If you've seen one of his films, you'll know what I mean. 

If vague smart humor isn't your thing, maybe check out A Little Bit of Heaven, which seems to be a RomCom version of 50/50, but with a female protagonist instead of male, starring the RomCom queen herself, Kate Hudson. It looks cute. I probably will have the willpower to be able to wait for the DVD, but if that's your thing, go for it. But if you're looking for a something a bit more British, but still seemingly comedic and fun, I'm personally looking forward to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. It looks to have the BEST CAST EVER, and truly looks like it's going to be a great, fun, feel-good film. I get super excited and happy about it just by watching the trailer.

Sticking with comedy, but with a bit of a Sci Fi twist, Men In Black III looks pretty aight. I can't tell yet if it's going to be a bit of overkill with adding a third to the already great MIB series (Like all those dang Shrek movies. My goodness. Should've stuck with just two of those, amirite?), but I'm excited nonetheless. 

If Tim Burton is more your jam, I'm kind of looking forward to Dark Shadows. It looks pretty silly, but entertaining, and the cast looks decent. It might just end up being a sort of filler movie for me until Burton's next film comes out in June. And speaking of Chloe Moretz: Hick. Also, I've been on quite the Gossip Girl kick lately, so being able to see Blake Lively play something a bit more exciting than an upper east-sider for a bit is intriguing. But I digress.
I just came across Hick for the first time today, which is weird because it looks like it's going to be pretty great. The cast looks good (which I point out for a lot of films, but it is indeed an important factor, so I'm not going to tire of pointing it out any time soon), myself being a big Lively and Moretz fan, but I also caught a climps of Alec Baldwin, and he is known to do a decent drama. See: Lymelife. Which is weird, because I just saw that Rory Culkin is also in Hick, and he happens to be my favorite of the Culkins. Just in case you were curious. 

Lastly, Battelship. But I may or may not be recommending that just because Alexander SkarsgĂ„rd is in it. 

Cheers.

A list of all those movies in order of which ones I want to see them the most:

Be sure to watch the trailers!

No comments:

Post a Comment