Sunday, March 4, 2012

Get Cultured: My most recent musings in music, books, & moving pictures

Music right now: I've been listening to one of my favorite bands, Now, Now, all day long, mostly because they just put out a new album, Threads, a few days ago, but also because it's Sunday, and I like to have calm and easy going Sundays. They set a great tone for the that. (for the record, my favorite songs from Threads are "School Friends", "But I Do", and "Separate Rooms".)

Thanks to Spotify, I've just renewed my love for the band Broken Bells, which is basically a perfect mix of the best bits of The Shins and Gnarles Barkley. As in the singer from The Shins and the guy who isn't C Lo Green made a band and it's amazing.

I almost forgot: Western Walk. Just discovered these guys last week and they're the bomb, yo. You can download most of their stuff for free on their bandcamp which I have most conveniently linked for you.

Movies and TV right now: Last night I discovered that Netflix has Phineas and Ferb. Other than that, I've been into The Secret Circle lately, despite the melodrama and borderline-decent acting. As far as movies go, My top 3 faves (so far!) from 2011 are: The Debt, Win Win, and Crazy Stupid Love. For this year, there are going to be a lot of really awesome looking super hero/comic movies, and one of the films I'm most anticipating is Moonrise Kingdom. I still have a good amount left from 2011 on my "to watch" list. Let me know if you've got any recommendations, I'm always looking!

If you are one of those who has been blessed with the awesome that is Netflix, I highly recommend you watch what will always arguably be my favorite Joss Whedon series to date, Firefly. Only one season was made, unfortunately, but the show has a great fandom following. But the good news is that after the show was canceled, the cast and the fans loved it so much that a movie was made to tie up all loose ends, thus Serenity, which also happens to be the name of the very first episode in the season, so don't get them mixed or you'll be über confused.

Books right now: I haven't been reading a lot lately, which is lame. I love reading. I think I've just realized more lately how long it takes me to read a book. Having ADD, I've found that it is hard to keep focused even when the reading is good, so it takes a while. I've just finished John Green's newest novel, The Fault in Our Stars, and highly recommend it to anyone between the ages of 13 and 107.

In an ongoing process, I've been reading Jane Eyre, but I'm not even half way through after several months of going back to it. I like it, I really do, and I wish people still wrote like they did back then. I'll finish it eventually, and when I do, you'll be the first to know.

The other day I flipped through and read what I'd call a picture book for adults, about modernism illustrator Norman Rockwell. It had a good amount of biographical writing in it, but my favorite bits were the paintings and drawings, and what Rockwell himself commented about them. This was first published back in the 40s when Rockwell was still alive, but it was a nice read nonetheless.

Yesterday I bought a paperback copy of the first Game of Thrones book for 5 bucks, in hopes that I'd finish it and the second one in the series before the second season of the show portrayal airs on HBO in April. I have a feeling it's not going to happen considering my reading pace in comparison to the number of pages in each of Martin's books.


Make sure to read my first entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment