Thursday, March 8, 2012

Good Things

Things are happening and I'm excited for them.
First of all, I will admit that I was a lazy-ass teenager from probably my sophomore year of high school up to age twenty. I was highly unmotivated to do anything, including, but not limited to, homework and studying. It's a miracle that I passed most classes with grades of B and better. I was lucky and smart, but not a worker. I didn't feel strongly about things happening in the world, and I never acted upon anything or fought for something. You could say I was...lost. I felt a lot of pressure to always know what my future held for me, no matter how distant it was or seemed. I think I may have been subconsciously rebelling against those who only wanted me to succeed in the best of ways.

I was a fairly happy person then, just as I am now, but I was learning. As I am still and always will be. I had a lot of unanswered questions that I never vocalized and probably learned about the harder ways. I was a person growing older, again, as I always will be.

The first time some sort of issue caught my attention was when John Green made a video about pennies. And then another about the dollar. Having lived for a bit in NZ where one and five cent coins and paper dollars are not/no longer in use, I knew first hand the lifestyle of not having such things as pennies. nickels, and slightly green pieces of paper with Washington in the middle of them. I say this as if it's suchhhh a big deal, and to me it is. But when I have brought up these issues in casual conversation I get laughed at and basically dismissed for being passionate about something so seemingly silly.

I was a little let down at first. This being the first thing in my life that I have wanted to affect change, I felt discouraged. And then I didn't. Give. A. [choice word]. I decided to do it anyway. To tell people about the pennies that cost twice as much to make as they are worth. To educate and make aware. Who cares if they brushed me off like nothing? What about that one person out of twenty who actually listens to what I have to say? That one person makes it worth the energy.

Several days ago this video was released by Invisible Children. I didn't know who Joseph Kony was. I knew there was war and children with guns, I knew that things are not as they should be in other parts of the world, but I didn't know anything deeper than that. I didn't care before. After watching this film I cared. And that was enough for me.

After seeing the backlash and critiques in response to IC and this campaign to stop Joseph Kony, I was confused all over again. I had questions that were not being answered and once again I didn't know what to think or say or feel. I was momentarily lost in the strange commotion of people and their feelings. But this time I cared.

I was moved by the film and, for once in my life, motivated to do something, so I researched. I read article after article, highlighting the positives and the negatives, and hundreds, maybe even thousands of comments from other readers with the same questions and feelings, or perhaps lack thereof. After a few hours I just had to step back and think quietly, without anyone telling me what I should think and why. I just made sure to feel.

I am a supporter of KONY 2012 because I listened and was moved by what Invisible Children had to share with the world. I care and want to be a part of helping in all ways that I can, however little. It makes me sad that so many people would rather criticize than say "Oh, well, it looks like they want to help out Central Africa, so let's help them help", and so on. Help to help to help to change. It is not instant, it is not simple, it is not easy. It is simply possible.


Here is what I posted on facebook yesterday, in addition to what I just wrote, if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment