Sunday, March 4, 2012

It's All Happening.

It's a new year, or at least it was two months ago, and I am determined to blog again! My goal is at least once a week, if not more. I don't want to bore y'all with things that are uninteresting, like my life. Let's be real, I live with my parents for the time being because I'm a broke 21 year old who isn't going to school and is looking for a job. Hopefully some of those things will change in the very near future, but for now, I'm boring.
The only things I will tell you about myself are what I'm listening to, what I'm reading, what I've watched recently (be it TV or film), and how my wait loss is going. Yep, I've decided to lose some weight and I've decided to blog about it.
If you really do want to know about my life in other ways, I'm basically all over the internet.
And you can follow me on Path if you have a smart phone and..use..Path. Which you should because it's great.
Okay. Well, to start, I'll tell you what's going down with my diet: vegetarian. Now, I realize I could just incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet, but to put it simply, meat just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I mean, yeah it tastes aight, and sometimes a good steak is just what the doctor ordered, but I have close to no desire to eat it anymore, and being vegetarian helps me to be more conscious of the decisions I am making where food is concerned. I'm eating more fruit, and, though I've never really been a veggie eater, more green things. Also, Silk, of the vanilla & light variety. So good. I don't think I've had a glass of milk in a week.
I know, I know, vegetarians can drink milk. But for some reason I've always been big on the calcium intake, in that I always try to make sure I'm getting the right amount on a daily basis, and Silk gives me way more calcium per serving at half the calories or whatever. And it tastes darn good.
When I got back to the states after being in New Zealand for a bit, I was overwhelmed by the size of everything despite the fact that I've lived here my whole life. I had gotten used to smaller. Smaller buildings, smaller cars, smaller portion sizes. When it comes down to it, I want to eat better-for-me things and feel good constantly, and the way I've been eating since I've been home is doing that.
With the exception of Costco pizza. omg. I mean, have y'all seen the size of a Costco pizza? It's like a dream come true.
In addition to eating better, I want to be a better person overall, though I know I'm already pretty cool. At least I tell myself that on a daily basis, AS I SHOULD. Not in the narcissistic sense, but in a way that I am empowering myself and trying to boost my self esteem on a regular basis. Believe it or not, I am indeed my hardest critic. Just the other day I got incredibly frustrated whilst playing my guitar because I wasn't playing as good as I know I am capable of. I expect the best from myself, but sometimes I get frustrated expect so much, at which point I refer to one of my favorite people I have never met before but hope to meet some day, author John Green.
I love his books and his writing, and I take so much from each every time I read one. Thanks to him and his brother Hank, I've learned to appreciate the awesomeness that is constantly surrounding us. One of my favorite quotes, and arguably one of the more popular John Green quotes, is "What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person". I am constantly reminding myself that all people are just that: people. And I can't hold it against them. We all have human being moments that make us who we are, and we are all complex and we are all simple. A great initialism that is used among the nerdfighter community is DFTBA. Don't Forget To Be Awesome. Another reminder that we should all look to in times of frustration and/or need of a boost in the esteem department.
Basically, I'm changing things a bit. I've gotten in the habit of flossing daily, which, let's be honest folks, we all say "I need to start flossing again" and then do it for five days, then forget about it again. I'm proud to say I've been flossing for almost two months strong. Hoo-rah. I also just got a hair cut. And when I got home to a room full of boxes, I downsized and donated/discarded a huge portion of clothing items and objects that I no longer felt I needed, and I can still do more, I'm sure. I've also made sure to keep up with inspirational figures in my life (both living and...not so living), the list being made up of Norman Rockwell, Chelsea Handler, Tim Hendricks, John and Hank Green, and, most recently Joanna Brooks. They're all people who I look up to, not necessarily for what they've done, but how they live(d) and their particular outlooks and opinions of certain things.
Change for the better is key. That's all I want. So that's what I'm attempting, and so far, so good.
Cheers, and DFTBA.

I should probably explain the name. It's from a quote from TFiOS, when Augustus says to Hazel, "You're so busy being you that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are." It's like 'cellar door' or 'aqueous sleep' (another from TFiOS). The words 'utterly unprecedented' just sound nice without regards for semantics. Not to mention some decent alliteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment